- 1 Large, heavy-bottomed pan
- 1 Cutting board
- 1 Knife for chopping
- 1 Can opener
- 1 Spoon for stirring
- 9 oz refrigerated tortellini
- 1 lb ground Italian sausage
- 32 oz vegetable broth (or chicken)
- 28 oz canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 2 cups fresh spinach packed
- ½ cup onion diced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the pan over medium-high heat. Heat the oil and add in diced onion. Sauté until onions are translucent: 3-4 minutes.
- Crumble Italian sausage and garlic with the onion. Cook until sausage is no longer pink: about 4-5 minutes. Drain any excess grease.
- Stir in crushed tomatoes, broth, basil, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer about 20 minutes.
- Add tortellini and spinach. Simmer for about 5-10 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- OPTIONAL: Top with parmesan cheese.